Wednesday, 19 August 2009


fonte:Palestine Chronicle

As a 'goodwill gesture' to the US, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, Defense Minister Ehud Barak and Housing Minister Ariel Atias agreed upon a de facto moratorium on new building in the settlements, Israel's Ynet reported. The "moratorium" will be in effect until the beginning of 2010, when the Israeli Prime Minister says he hopes to gain international support for Israel's sovereignty in East al-Quds (Jerusalem) and for large settlement blocs in the West Bank. High-level officials in the administration of Israeli Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu confirmed that the Israeli government will engage in a "waiting" game as a tactic in order to convince the US that Israel is committed to peace. The Israeli Prime Minister's office said that the government will wait until the beginning of 2010 to "give the peace process a chance". Israel had previously defied international and US calls for freezing the construction of settlements in the Palestinian land and it has stalled the peace process with the Palestinians. In contrast, Tel Aviv has recently announced plans for the construction of hundreds of new Jewish homes in the territory, including in East al-Quds, where the Palestinians consider that region their future capital city. (Reference for text: Press TV. Photo: Getty/file)
Palestine Blogs - The Gazette Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License.