Tuesday 22 September 2009

Video: Israel / América: um poema irregular

fonte:EI


Video: Israel/America: A rambling poem
Remi Kanazi, The Electronic Intifada, 21 September 2009



The above video features a poem (transcribed below) by Remi Kanazi that he performed on GRITtv with Laura Flanders after a segment on the boycott, divestment and sanctions movement against Israeli repression of Palestinian rights.

Israel/America: A rambling poem

Every time I think of 9/11
I see burning flesh dripping off the bones of Iraqi children in Fallujah
Now Gaza
I tend to memorialize the forgotten
The collateral damage eclipsing our unpunished crimes

Maybe it's because I'm a numbers guy
Because if I had a dollar for every time an Iraqi died since 2003
I'd be a millionaire

And don't get me wrong
Sometimes I don't know who I hate more
The governments in the West
Or the politicians in the East
Who sell their souls quicker than the oil they export
Straw men who use Palestine as a tool to line their pockets
And don't give a nickel to their people
Quisling governments
Who stitch mouths shut for a check from Washington and AIPAC
How can you be their prototypical anti-Semite
If you are signing peace accords to oppress your own people?

And then Orientalists and idiots talk about how
We can't have democracy in the Middle East
Because of what happened in Gaza
A Hamas bogeyman wrapped in democratic elections
Rahm Emanuel wants to educate me and my people about democracy gone wrong
Why doesn't try implementing one Israel first?
Instead of bowing down to terrorists like his father and the IDF
Lauding a third rate, racist, European society that's imploding quicker
Than its moral standing in the world
Enlightened like 1950s Afrikaaners and slave traders
Just because the house is beautiful
Doesn't mean the bones you built it on have fully decomposed

The Israeli left is about as alive as Ariel Sharon
I'm sick and tired of asking for permission to resist
From antiquated leftists and progressives
Who care more about keeping it Kosher than moving things forward
I put down my pen and waving fist to resist with college kids and Palestinians
Boycott and divest!
Because who cares about preserving a living when governments are killing civilians
Complicity by silence and reserve units bombing Gaza
Your academics and scholars, theater groups and practitioners, are part of the problem

And if logic doesn't fit into your long term plan of rejecting
My right to return, I'm sorry
Maybe one day you'll return to reality
Where my people have babies quicker
Than Zionists can concoct Jordanian options

I don't want your sympathy or introspective confessions
Won't sit on my hands till they lose oxygen
Like the people of Balata and Rafah
Vote for Barack Obama
And pretend that his 22 day silence was golden
While emaciated children starved to death
Surrounded by their parents' corpses

This can't be America the Beautiful
A criminal with a few positive attributes
Doesn't alleviate genocide
Bombing Afghanistan, Pakistan and Iraq
Into oblivion doesn't make you historic
It makes you as blind and bloodthirsty
As the white men that came before you
Apathetic hipsters now excited about a president
Who broke history, but not poverty, occupation, or corporate interests

I'd rather proudly walk through the graveyard of peace accords
And failed dialogue sessions
Than see my people just as occupied or third-class citizens
We are the gavel that will slam down like a verdict
We are not waiting for Israel or America or the Supreme Court to approve it
We'll boycott Lev Leviev, Caterpillar and your apartheid companies
We're taking back the right of return and the keys to a country
Because we never asked you to go back to Europe or sit in open air prisons
I'm not asking for your advice, I'm explaining the decision
You can stay here, with us, but only as equals
It's not that you're Israeli, it's that you're wrong
That's why I fight for my people!

Remi Kanazi is the editor of Poets For Palestine and will be touring the US and Canada this fall on the Poets For Palestine tour. He can be contacted at Remroum A T gmail D O T com. For more information on Poets For Palestine, visit www.PoetsForPalestine.com.
gaza_black_ribbon
 
Palestine Blogs - The Gazette Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License.